Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Caught into a life of living in motion.

I first saw this site here. And it made me think about a lot of things.

How trapped we are as a society and what makes us fall into the habits that we do and why we do the things we do. It made me analyze my own desires and if I was sincerely being full of my own joy, who else was being affected by the desires of my heart. It's a complex thought process that I have gone through... The results leave me a little disheartened.



It seems as though relationships and companionship frequent my mind and every now and again, marriage. I read this story of a woman who was writing to her future husband, whoever it may be about buying her wedding ring and how she wanted him to buy it from this organization. Now what a novel idea, the purpose from the sales of these rings is that they end up paying for clean drinking water to villagers in Africa. You can purchase a ring through their 12 rings of Christmas campaign. Along with other campaigns throughout the year.

It made me analyzed my heart... Now, I don't think I could give up my engagement ring that my husband hadn't even gave me yet and instead just donate money- however, their concept and passion behind this cause opened my eyes a little. I started looking at why rings are so important with marriage. What makes this concept so weighted. Recently I have been challenged a bit with the concept of "kissing dating goodbye" or going directly to engagement before a courtship period of any sort. To the worlds standards and customs this again, is a taboo thing something that is not of the norm. However, it has caused me to analyze in my own life, what dating really brings- what it enhances within a relationship and if anything would change from our friendship to otherwise.

I guess, all this brings me to say: I feel as though we fall into cultural norms. Things that seem "correct" and we accept them as our own desires as well. It makes me want to challenge myself and look into why I believe the things I do. For now, when the time comes, I would love for nothing more than to have my future husband, whoever he may be, and if he even exists, share the passion of helping others from the base of our relationship and look into purchasing my ring from With This Ring.

However, now in this time. What is it that I am doing that is pushing me to go through the motions? What part of me is falling into the cultural norm and slowly pushing away other relationships or even pushing me to make decisions that are not of God but purly of my own personal desires? It makes me wonder. If we're falling in love with material, what should be taking those places in our hearts? As it says in Romans, Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2) and in Philippians chapter 4 verse 6 it goes on to say do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to the Lord.

So right now, weather it would be easier to graduate a year early, or transfer out. Or if it would be the desire of your heart to understand a relationship more fully. Present these things to the Lord. Let him be the center, and allow his love and mercy to overflow those areas. This is my challenge to you, today. "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. " Ephesians 4:22-24

These options may not be black and white, but they are there if we sincerely seek them.

No comments: