Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Texting: A Hate Story

So in the midst of probably one of the craziest transitions of my life...

I had someone kick my phone and the keyboard popped out. From that point on, my phone had been changed forever. The keys didn't work well and it was nearly impossible to text or call anyone on...

After a month of switching around phones, I got a new phone!

It was all jazzy and new with a slide keyboard and a totally different set-up. Since I don't really like the fancier phones... You would think this would be the perfect phone. The honeymoon phase didn't last long... As a matter of a fact: it lasted a few days.

It all started when I was trying to communicate to tell people where I was and such in a trip out of state. My communication was handicapped quite a bit. However, I thought things would get better. Once the phone and I got acquainted better. Well, then one friend only has texting on their phone... So I was having quite a serious conversation with her one night: and poof!

Add a third party... The phone had started doing this mystery freeze thing where it would freeze and then send the message to the last person I had texted instead of the person I was currently texting. I had a mini break down... Luckily it wasn't too bad and things got cleared up quickly. However, as the days went on, it was as though my phone was cheating on me. He continued to text incorrect people, even called the wrong people. I was thinking that we might need a separation.

Well, after a strong worded text to someone who got me quite angry... I didn't get a text back from the person. So there I showed him. Well, come to find out, I didn't show him I showed another him. Someone who has been nothing but nice to me... Needless to say, I am ready for a divorce!

I called my mother tonight telling her of my dilemma and she had a simple solution: I am always saying, I hate  texting... Well, needless to say: she offered getting rid of texting! After some thought, I feel as though technology continues to push people further and further away from each other instead of closer and closer. With more and more technology and ways to communicate: it seems like we should be a society that is extremely close knit. Wrong. It is awful! I feel like I have become more distant from close friends, and then things like this happen and let's just say: it isn't a quick fix trying to explain to people why got a mean text. Which also says something about my character I suppose too: I was just reading in my bible study tonight about being slow to anger...

Does this happen to anyone else? Am I the only technologically disadvantaged person? Would I lose total cool points in ditching texting after already ditching facebook as well? And hm: after further investigation: maybe losing texting isn't that bad after all... I mean spell check doesn't even recognize it as a word!

No comments: