Friday, June 11, 2010

My heart, my passion, my everything...

So the past few weeks I have had everyone up in arms over hair washing. I quit washing my hair around 2 weeks ago now and well, not that they could TELL that my hair was dirty... Because, quite honestly, it looked and smelled the same. They were all very bothered by my latest experiement. I decided I wanted to see what it was like to give up small little things that I seem to take for granted, I wanted to know what it was like to live without. The more God stirs in my heart about people and the people of this world... The more I desire and wonder about what it's like to do different things and how I can change things to help others.

So, as an expeirment I wondered if I decreased my washing of hair, if it would change my hair. I recently read that in 6 months of not washing your hair your natural oils in your hair would actually compinsate for the loss of hair washing. So I figured, what the heck! Why not try it? So for the beginning of this little expeirment nothing really changed. My hair actually felt the same and definately looked the same! So after nothing had really changed, I found myself challenging the system a little. I wondered why it was such a big deal to wash your hair if it didn't do anything and if I could pinch a few pennies and save a little. Why not? So I continued not washing my hair. Word got out to my grandmother and she wanted to put a quick kabosh to it.

At dinner last night, the topic came up for around the 3rd or 4th time since she had gained knowledge of my shampoo-less lifestyle. My grandpa said something that made me think: He said sometimes you have to go without in the mission field. And my grandma said: But she's not in the missions field! And he said she started Monday. And that's when I realized it's true in a lot of ways! I am living out a missionary lifestyle through my work on a daily basis. I am still trying to discern what it looks like to be accepting God's love on a daily basis. I think that's my greatest struggle... However, it's getting there.

Anyways! Back to my hair. I am back to washing my hair again and I guess it feels a lot softer since I have returned to my hair washing lifestyle. However, I am challenged by what it feels like to live without. I am really interested in these new thoughts and things that are arousing my heart. The passions others have, the passions I have... I am learning more and more about people around me and the assults on people's hearts. I pray that God continues to work in the world and in the hearts of each of us. Just some random thoughts today nothing too weighted! Happy Summer!

No comments: