Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our Deepest Fear

Yesterday we had an Oral Interpretations chapel and in that chapel we listened to original poetry written by our peers along with scripture, and poems that had been published and were famous. Among the poems was:
Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson

it is our light not our darkness that most frightens us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,

talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of

God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people

permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,

Our presence automatically liberates others.


When I heard the poem I thought to myself, how strange... I don't know if that is truly my deepest fear.

Last night, I was talking with someone and he said something that struck me. It was something I have said before and something I have heard before. He said: "I don't like talking about myself".

Now, I was raised that when asked a question you must answer it. However, sometimes it seems as though when asked multiple questions about yourself... The feeling of being unveiled or revealed is scary. Or that you have an over inflated ego going on and on about yourself. To the worlds standards it seems conceited.

I wondered as he said that: back to this poem. Perhaps this is our deepest fear that when we are unveiled we will then be powerful we will influence more than others and what if, society isn't ready for that? Or perhaps it's just the opposite: what if then in those moments of liberation you yourself find, you are not achieving what others thought of you. Our fear is in the judgements of others or the process of what's right and wrong. Is it not?

Just something I have been thinking about. What is our greatest fear? Who are we deep within our core? I find it interesting to say the least.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Oh man I had no idea you have done posts like hotel hospital! Don't worry, I would never take your posts and copy them :) I would be so mad if someone did that to mine without asking!! It's kinda freaky how similar we are! I hope you're having a good weekend!