Monday, April 26, 2010

Making time for what matters most

As finals come, and then summer and work and classes: there just isn't enough time to get everything done.

Yet, for some there are those relationships that we force ourselves to make time for and the classes that mean a little more so we study a little harder for. It's as if we care more about the classes that have to do with our major, after all the rest are just, gen eds... And well, some people just mesh better. Right?

Well- what about our relationship with God and the time we spend with him? Constantly we are challenged and asked what would make our lives look different if someone didn't know we were a Christian. Now, I am not asking about the things like how often we go to church or what we are active in as a church body. My question lies deep within. What do we look like in what is known in the Christian body as the: "secular" world.

When asked what the greatest commandment was: Jesus stated "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

I feel what is getting harder and harder is truly loving God. I find that a lot of the time I can make time to do good works, as those should be in a response to my faith... But making time for God on a daily basis has been hard. It is something that seems to slip through the cracks with piles of homework, meetings, and other life chores to do. God just all of a sudden seems like an extra, or something that takes a little more commitment than I have time for.

Yet, deep down I know the blessing he will bestow is greater than I can ever imagine and I continue to strive to have that relationship, that time with him. I selfishly think about how uncomfortable it makes me or how it is taking sacrifice to really make full and devoted time with God. I have come to a point that I realize I don't take my faith seriously, when I look to the fact that Jesus died on the cross to carry my sin. To surrender his life come, live a life to connect with humans and the fact that I can't find time to center myself with him- disturbs me a bit. He loves me so greatly and yet I struggle and fall and he continues to love and pour love upon me.

The song This Man comes to mind. Would you take his place? It's time as a church we surround our lives around our one true living God. He will provide the passion, desire, and strength to get through the hard times and our struggle with sin and uncertainty. But the only way we are going to get through this is by acknowledging him and submitting to his will. Every day.

No comments: