Tuesday, November 11, 2008

15 Days of Thanks

There are 15 days until Thanksgiving, before we get together as a family dining and coming together as a family to give thanks about what the year has provided. Sometimes it's hard to see what we may be really thankful for. Other days it's like everything is going just right. Or as my economics teacher would say the sun is shinin' on me!

I cannot even begin to find place of thanks I have been so greatly provided for and as a nation we're able to be so comfortable with where we are and who we are. I am amazed at the work of the Lord and what simple things like a t-shirt, or a few CD's, or a meal can do for a persons day.

Today is a day that we give thanks to our troops and the veterans of war. In 1919 World War I ended June 28th with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. The actual fighting between the Allies and Germany, however, had ended seven months earlier with the armistice, which went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918. Armistice Day, as November 11 became known, officially became a holiday in the United States in 1926, and a national holiday 12 years later. On June 1, 1954, the name was changed to Veterans Day to honor all U.S. veterans.

It's amazing to see how far our country has come. This election our country made history electing our first African American president. We are truly a land of opportunity and freedom. To see how far our country has come from great war on our own land sending our troops not by choice but by draft to serve to now having them serve our country by choice.

Now we see the war in Iraq and we see so many of our men and women going out to fight. I am so thankful that we have the freedom and the safety to keep battle off our grounds and there is now equal opportunity to both women and men.

I have so much to be thankful for and to think that there is no one like our God… And there really are greater things yet to come and greater things to be done in this city and this country. I really was hopeless at one point and now I am full of hope and faith in him. Today I give thanks.

No comments: